In today’s digital age, securing your Aadhaar is more important than ever to prevent potential fraud. With the rise of scams using false Aadhaar details, it’s crucial to stay informed about the latest developments. One effective measure is the Aadhaar Biometric Lock feature, offering a temporary shield for your biometric data.
Why Use Aadhaar Biometric Lock?
The Aadhaar Biometric Lock provides several benefits, such as enhancing privacy and confidentiality. You can use this feature to temporarily lock and unlock your biometrics. Whether you’ve lost your Aadhaar card, worry about identity compromise, or simply want to boost security during periods of inactivity, the biometric lock has you covered.
What Does Aadhaar Biometric Lock Do?
This security feature locks your fingerprint, iris, and face biometrics, preventing any unauthorized attempts to use them for authentication. Once activated, it ensures that your biometrics cannot be exploited by anyone, adding an extra layer of protection to your identity.
How to Set Up Aadhaar Biometric Lock?
If you have a registered mobile number linked to your Aadhaar, you can easily set up the biometric lock. Follow these steps:
- Visit the UIDAI website.
- Navigate to the “My Aadhaar” tab and select “Aadhaar lock/unlock” under “Aadhaar services.”
- Enter your VID or Aadhaar number.
- Complete the captcha and click “Send OTP.”
- Enter the received OTP.
- After entering the four-digit security code displayed, click “Enable.”
Alternatively, you can also use the mAadhaar app to lock Aadhar biometrics:
- Ensure your Aadhaar number is registered on the app.
- Enter the OTP received.
- Set a four-digit PIN.
- Select “Lock Biometrics.”
- Enter your four-digit PIN.
Who Should Use Aadhaar Biometric Lock?
Anyone with a registered mobile number linked to their Aadhaar can benefit from this feature. It’s especially recommended if you’re concerned about biometric data privacy and confidentiality.
What Happens After Setting the Biometric Lock?
Once your biometrics are locked, any attempt to use them for authentication will result in a specific error code, “330,” indicating that the biometrics are locked. To unlock, you can choose between temporary unlocking or turning off the locking mechanism. Use m-Aadhaar, the UIDAI website, or visit an Aadhar Seva Kendra for the unlocking process.
- Never share your biometric information or Aadhaar number unless certain of the legitimacy.
- Safeguard and store your Aadhaar card securely, keeping it on your person only when necessary.
By following these simple steps, you can take control of your Aadhaar security, safeguarding your biometric data from potential misuse. Stay informed, stay secure!