Online Linking Aadhaar Card with Driving License in India:
Aadhaar can be used by vehicle owners to obtain new licenses or renew existing ones.
The aim is to combat the use of fake driver’s licenses through UIDAI’s Aadhaar-based verification guidelines.
- Prevalence of Fake Licenses:
More than 30% of India’s total driver’s licenses are estimated to be counterfeit, according to the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways.
- Aadhaar’s Importance:
Aadhaar has become a crucial part of every Indian’s life. It’s a unique identification number assigned by the Indian government.
Aadhaar is a prerequisite for accessing government subsidies and services.
- Ministry’s Initiative:
The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways has initiated a campaign to simplify the process of linking Aadhaar with driving licenses.
- Online Aadhaar Linking:
Presently, anyone can link their driver’s license with their Aadhaar card online.
- Combating Multiple Licenses:
People with multiple licenses are encouraged to voluntarily surrender the extra licenses to local Road Transport Departments.
- Upcoming Legal Regulations:
The government plans to launch the Aadhaar and driving license linking process once legal regulations are finalized.
Here are the key highlights for linking Aadhaar with Driving Licence:
- Name: Link Aadhaar with Driving Licence
- Initiated by: Government of India
- Department: The Ministry of Road Transport and Highways
- Objective: To link the Aadhaar number with Driving Licence
- State: All over India
Benefits of Linking Aadhaar with Driving Licence:
- Centralized Database: Linking Aadhaar with a driving license creates a unified platform where authorized agencies can access and verify driver’s license information. Driver information will be accessible across India, preventing the issuance of duplicate licenses.
- Fake Licenses: Many counterfeit driver’s licenses exist in India, making it necessary to link Aadhaar with driving licenses to prevent fraud. Authorities can identify counterfeit licenses.
- Access for Authorized Agencies: Agencies can access and verify license details for all vehicle owners using Aadhaar.
- Transparency and Anti-Corruption: Linking reduces corruption and promotes transparency.
- Faster Process: The computerized system speeds up the process of issuing license, ensuring that only those who pass the driving test receive them.
- Enhanced Road Safety: The requirement for passing a driving test reduces unskilled drivers on the road.
This process aims to improve the security and authenticity of driver’s licenses in India by connecting them with Aadhaar, a unique identity document issued by the government.
Steps to Link Aadhaar with Driving Licence:
- Visit State Transport Website: Go to the official website of the state’s road transport department that issued your driver’s license.
- Locate ‘Link Aadhar’: Find the ‘Link Aadhar’ option on the homepage of the website.
- Choose Aadhar and DL: Click on ‘Aadhar Number Entry’ followed by ‘Driving Licence.’
- Enter License Number: Provide your driving license number and click ‘Get Details.’
- Enter Aadhaar Details: Enter your 12-digit Aadhaar number and your registered mobile number.
- Review and Submit: Double-check the information and click ‘Submit.’
- Verify with OTP: You’ll receive an OTP on your registered mobile number; enter it to complete the linking process.
By following these simple steps and visiting your respective state’s transport authority website, you can link your Aadhaar with your driving license, ensuring the accuracy and authenticity of your license information.
Transport Authority Websites List:
Here are the links to the transport authority websites for different states and union territories:
- Arunachal Pradesh
- Andaman and Nicobar Islands
- Andhra Pradesh
- Dadra and Nagar Haveli
- Daman and Diu
- Himachal Pradesh
- Jammu and Kashmir
- Madhya Pradesh
- Tamil Nadu
- Uttar Pradesh
- West Bengal